The rapid growth of infrastructures that make up a water network or the increased demands on the conditions of service are, among others, aspects that water utilities companies have had to respond in recent years adapting their working procedures and implementing new tools. This has resulted in the existence of a captive knowledge and a set of unconnected and low accessibility assets which, in many cases, are isolated from the decision-making process.
This situation presents a set of problems that pose a difficulty to achieve the objectives:
- Lack of coordination. No fluent relationship between areas and difficulties in sharing common data and related processes.
- Disconnection between the tools and systems implemented (waste of their ability and possibilities).
- No aggregate information available for decision-making.
- Redundant efforts in the collection and analysis of data.
- Lack of integration of economic and technical information which leads to an optimization of financial resources.
- Waste of time and resources that should be devoted to forecasting and planning by the need to allocate them to prepare and analyze information.
All this, added to an economic and competitive scenario that forces to respond to pressures from various fields (market, technology, society…), leads to the need to implement new resources or processes that meet these growing demands and to try to manage responses and actions in real time.
The information and communication technologies (ICT) are essential to meet the new requirements efficiently. The most significant technologies are, first, the development of measurement and control networks that allow having the data necessary to know the state of the system, perform the management and planning tasks and generate information that responds to internal and external requests. Secondly, the implementation of management systems and decision support that incorporate business intelligence (BI) techniques and that allow manage and use the information transmitted by the control networks and other internal or external quantitative or qualitative information and integrate the set of specific tools that help to run the procedures necessary to drive the response actions: asset management, hydraulic models, GIS models, incident monitoring, management indicators…
Summary diagram of the existing pressures and the objectives sought through the support of ICT.
WatEner is located in this second group of tools; a solution that provides an optimal and satisfactory response to the needs of business and to the corporate level requirements taking advantage and enhancing the assets (physical and knowledge) of your company.
- Integrates data, models, tools and cartography under a GIS environment.
- Uses calculation methodologies which enhance the knowledge of an expert and uses it efficiently to solve day-to-day operational problems.
- Includes a system that allows disposing real-time information.
- Responds to the needs of information by operators and managers.
- Incorporates a configurable panel of dashboards that supports decision-making and allows easy and agile monitoring of the main strategic, tactical and operational indicators (KPI).
- Develops a management model that enables knowing and analyzing in detail all actions and resources linked to the processes and generates a broad operational knowledge base.
- Ensures a strategy that guarantees short-term results and easily scalable.
The following figure shows schematically the WatEner environment as integrator and manager system of tools and corporate knowledge valuing them and complementing them with own simulation, forecasting, and decision support systems.
WatEner provides a shared and common work environment that facilitates decision making to groups of users with different profiles but with a task and common objective.
The implementation of the WatEner solution facilitates the achievement of business objectives seeking to respond to the current needs and requirements resulting in:
- Integration and enhancement of corporate tools
- Centralization and improvement of expert knowledge
- More easily accessible information
- Radical improvement of efficiency in the management of areas
- Flexibility and speed in the modification and implementation of processes
- Internalization of business knowledge, systems and information in the organization
- Minimize the response time to the demands or requests
- A further step in improving company image: dissemination of information to customers
- Compliance with regulations and legal policy
In short, WatEner integrates and enhances the corporate tools and values the information and the existing knowledge in the organization looking for minimizing investments, reducing response times and maximizing the availability for the customer.